Pages

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Historical Recount


The search of Aotearoa.  

Giving direction to the captain, was an enormous responsibility, because as a Tahuna, the weight of uncertainty and feelings of misgiving were massive and were thrown upon my shoulders. I was taught how to read the stars, the currents of the water, the position of the sun and the wind by my ancestors.  Through my studies, I had attained vast knowledge of the language of these environmental gifts.The captain’s men, had prepared the waka weeks before our departure. The food had been dried and had been stored in ketes. The men had filled gourds with fresh water on the day of our departure.

After the sun had set, and twilight had befallen us, Ropata, our rangatira (captain), the pahihi (passengers) and myself, the Tahuna (navigator). We boarded the waka as the rest of the Maori people chanted prayers around the big fire in the shore. Altogether, there was 12 people on the waka. Among us, there was a young boy no older than 10 years of age, his name was Marama, meaning moonlight. As we sailed away from Hawaiki, the glare of the blazing fire was getting smaller and smaller by the push of the paddle.
“Irirangi, which direction?” Ropata asked as he paddled, moving the waka along the reflective ocean water. I turned towards the sky and held out my hand to the stars, studying them for a moment,
“Ki te raki” I responded, signaling to the north.

As we continued with our journey, I could see from time to time, dolphins jumping from in and out from the ocean water. I also could see whales swimming in the water, and the chirpings of the birds in the changing sky, could be heard for miles. The fragrance of the cooking, wafted into the air. After being at sea for a few days, I could tell the passengers were getting bored, as there was nothing to do while we were sailing.

Ever since, we had set sail, I felt the rangatira’s and the passenger’s faith and trust in me got heavier and heavier. The pressure of guiding the boat and giving directions, was getting more each day. Now I could finally understand the responsibility and pressure the other Tahuna had advised me about. I had learnt my skills through the stories, poems and songs. I had spent many years of my youth, learning and studying these sacred texts.

After a few days, we had finally spotted land. There were seagulls squawking around the shores. There were tall, forest coloured trees some on high mountain tops, I could see the sand clear and shining under the fiery sun. Everyone exploded into cheers and chants, laughter soon following. I was very thrilled, that I took off my Tahuna necklace and hooked it around Marama. His parents hugged him and quickly ran off the waka, their son following behind them.

Never had I imagined in my life, that I would find Aotearoa. I always had thought it was just a dream, but after seeing it, it wasn’t a dream anymore. Next time, I’ll keep in mind to not get mentally panicked, and try to keep a calm mind.


This is my historical recount about what I think happened on the voyaging waka that came to Aotearoa (New Zealand).  My writing I wrote is through the point of view of the Tahunga, the navigator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.